Friday, June 18, 2010

Fitness Friday

Instead of introducing you to how I got started in my "fitness world." I thought I would blog about something that has been on my mind. First off, I want to say that if I did have a specific day for me to talk about my progression and other fitness moments, this blog would be overwhelmed with nothing but that... and that would just just plain Jane boring.  
So the topic today: Insecurities. 

Everyone has them. It's normal to not be 100% happy with your body, but you should be happy with yourself. Just yesterday, I was in the middle of a conversation with 2 people in their mid-30s discussing why they do not wear shorts, bikinis, flip flops, and what parts of their bodies they just do not want to show. One of them does not wear shorts or capris. I have never seen this lady in either and I have been friends with her for 2 years, which means for 2 summers. The other woman discussed her self consciousness of her stomach. After having two kids, she now has the stretch marks and c-section marks. Neither one of these ladies are large by any means. They totally are not! The point is that they have insecurities, and the way they get over those insecurities is by hiding them. What happens next?

When I started talking about things on my body that I am not exactly confident about, they looked at me and said, "You can not have a perfect body." "You will never have a perfect body." "Everybody has that." and so on. Just because I am small does mean I am 100% happy with my body. Just because I am young does not mean that I am ok to have a muffin top and flaunt everything I don't have. So for you to understand, I am going to give you some insight of my side of the conversation.

I said that my insecurities are my thick thighs and small chest. I have a bubble butt. I have no boobs. It is just how I am. I am ok with that, but what I am not ok with is my little dimples on my legs that stick out because I am so light complected.. and well flabby. So what do I do? I work out the darn dimples. I get on the stairstepper at the gym, I walk uphill when I can, I work out my legs 2 times a week, I get the job done. It's my choice. It's who I am, and it's what makes me happy. And guess what? Within 2 weeks of working out, my dimples are gone. Because I do take pride in my body. I am determined to look the way I want to look. I want to be healthy for my kids and my grandkids. I want to still be confident in a bikini when I go to the beach. I still want to have the option to wear shorts if I chose. This is just me, and I do not expect you or anyone else to feel or do the same.

I am young, yes. I get that. I am small. I get that, too. I understand that I will never have a perfect body, but I do believe I can work to be more healthy and confident in my own skin. If this is what makes me happy, what makes me feel good about myself, what gives me pride, then this is what I will do. Just like them. They do not like some parts of their bodies that they can not necessary change, some they can change. I have the same. Now, I chose to try and change it while they sit back and say "I'll never have a perfect body." That is their way of getting out of it. That is fine with me because that is their choice. I don't judge them for it, and I expect them to not judge me for the choices I make.

Everyone, no matter how big or small they are, no matter how healthy or unhealthy they are, we all have some type of insecurity.

Fitness Friday is really about inspiring others to become the person they would like to become within their "fitness world." Notice I said "their"... YOUR own wants, YOUR own desires. Not mine, not your husband's, not your best friend's, YOURS! So hopefully with me being open on how I have got to where I am, and my train of thought on things, maybe others will be willing to change themselves for themselves. Because afterall, it does take YOU to want to change for YOURSELF before you will actually do it. Trust me, I learned this the hard way. 

So for all you ladies (and men) out there that have a desire to lose weight, eat healthier, become more fit, whatever the case... lets do it together! The first thing you need to do is recognize that you need the change. Don't be modest. Don't be shy. And do not be in denial or lie to yourself. Just be ok with it and know you want change. Once you do that, you will need something to motivate and encourage you to push farther. In the beginning, for me, it was food. Once I got passed ever wanting nasty food, it became rewards in other sorts. I have bought clothes a size or two too small to force myself to fit into them. I have bought sexy lingerie a size too small to fit in for my husband. Definitely reward yourself in a way that is satisfying for you. Whatever it is that will motivate you, do it. And make sure you set reachable, realistic goals. Take it a step at a time. Do not say ok I weigh 550lbs and I want to lose 100 of it. Tell yourself that you weigh 550lbs, and you would like to lose 10lbs within a week. For most, it will be more like 2-5lbs a week.

Is there something about your body that you can change and would like to? Do you want to change it? If so, what would be your rewards for working so hard to achieve your goal?

4 comments:

  1. agreed 100% with everything you just said. I want smaller boobs! thats all! i swear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. =)

    Great explanation... I have the dimple issue too, bodies are weird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have insecurities about my body. I am small and short. But my husband has taught me to be worried my inner beauty, about what I bring to the table. My intelligence, my character and attitude.

    My husband just joined the military. He is currently training at BCT and on his way to OCS in July. I am so glad to meet other military spouses like you, it helps a lot.

    I am now following your blog via Google Friend. Check out my new blog at Musings Of An Army Wife

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, its my thighs and hip area including muffin top. Its in my genes. I have always had a flat tummy and skinny arms. My back is naturally toned but no matter how hard and long I work out my legs, they have dimples and don't really lose width. Its fine, I hate it but I still wear my bikini and shorts. I think people need to love what they have. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!! :) Always leave your personal URL for me to send love back!