Monday, December 26, 2011

Magic Reindeer Food and Poem:

Many people asked about the Magic Reindeer Food that we made to sprinkle on Christmas Eve. Even though it is after Christmas, I thought I would go ahead and share. Many of you could save this for next year! I do wish I would have posted this early. Next year, I will be sure to spend all of December posting things that we do during Christmas, and the things that are kid friendly. 


The Magic Reindeer Food (or Dust) is something that many parents (and teachers) have been doing for years. I decided that I wanted to do this whenever I had children, and my time has finally come! 


Magic Reindeer Food is simple and inexpensive to make. All you need is some oats and some colored sugar sprinkles (or glitter). I use the sugar sprinkles because they are biodegradable and safe for the birds - as some people have told me. The amount depends on how much you want to make and where you want to sprinkle it. 


Since we live in base housing, we only sprinkled it at our doorstep in the grass. I used a 1/2 cup of oats and a 1/4 cup of sugar sprinkles (I chose red!). I mixed the two together and let Baby A sprinkle it by our doorstep. She did not try to eat it.... she understands what is meant to be eaten and what isn't. But if you have a child who WILL eat this, especially an infant, be extra careful or sprinkle yourself. 


For us, by the morning, most of it was gone. It "looked" as if the reindeer truly did have a snack, but Baby A is still too little to understand but this year was our test to see if it would be gone by morning. 


There is a cute little poem that goes with it. I know many people who make it and put it in ziploc bags or glass jars, tie a ribbon around it, and put a tag with this poem on it. 


Make a wish and close your eyes tight,
Sprinkle this on your lawn Christmas Eve night, 
As Santa and his reindeer roam,
This sparkly dust will lead them to your home,
The reindeer will love their oatmeal snack,
While they are waiting for Santa to come back. 


There are a variety of poems. The one above is my favorite. It's the cutest, but yet still short and to the point. 


My second favorite is this one...
Inside this special package is a treat
but not for you!
It contains magical reindeer food 
and here is what you do.
Sprinkle this magical reindeer food
carefully on the ground.
And tonight if you are lucky
Santa's reindeer will come around.
But here's a secret I have to tell,
one you must try to keep.
That Santa's reindeer only come
when you are fast asleep.
So quickly put your jammies on
and get a story read,
Then sprinkle this magic treat outside
and hurry off to bed!


The one above is cute if you do it as a craft with a group of children. The poem is a bit longer, but it is super cute and explains how to use it if they bring it home to their parents. 


Such a fun, easy, and inexpensive craft to do for Christmas!! 


I hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas, and enjoy your time with your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!! :) Always leave your personal URL for me to send love back!