Monday, January 23, 2012

Edible Crayons

Recently, I have been really trying to find some things to get creative with Baby A, but still be super cautious since she puts everything in her mouth. I have been searching for great ways to incorporate crafts into our daily lives without having to worry about her eating something she shouldn't. I thought I would research on how to make edible crayons. I didn't even know if it was possible, but I assumed it could be. Well, here is what I found. If you try it out, let me know what you think. Baby A has seemed to enjoy them - not for a snack, but they have turned into that a time or two. They work great and they are pieced together well. It is also fun to do, and when she is a bit older I can let her make them with me! 



Edible Crayons
 Ingredients:

 Pretzel Rods
Candy Melts (or white chocolate bark/chocolate chips with a little of your favorite food coloring added)
Paper Labels (make them yourself . Print on colored paper of your choice)

Instructions:

1. Break or cut pretzel rods in half.
2.Melt candy melts or chocolate chips in microwave on medium heat for 1 minute. Stir and continue cooking at 15 second intervals until melted. Stir well. Add a few drops food coloring if desired.
3. Dip ends of pretzels in melted candy.
4. Place on wax paper or aluminum foil to dry.
5. When dry, wrap with crayon label and secure with tape.

You can buy Candy Melts at Wal-Mart or your local cake supply store. You can also purchase them at http://www.sugarcraft.com/.

1 comment:

  1. What a cute idea! I made edible playdough for my daughter when she was young. I really need to do that for my son. I have a recipe somewhere but not sure where. I'll have to dig it out.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!! :) Always leave your personal URL for me to send love back!